I was SO hoping Dr K would have some sort of answers for me that would help us decide one way or another as to what to do. Well that didn't happen. He said that there is NOTHING I could do differently. He said that I am getting pregnant, but that the embryos are just not staying. He said it is probably a genetic issue with the embryos we've used so far. Not that ALL our embryos are 'bad', but so far they've just not been genetically right.
So his recommendations at this point are to implant 3-4 instead of 2 like we've been doing OR thaw 3-4 embryos, do PGD (genetic testing on them) and then implant only the ones that don't show any genetic issues. I asked him about IUI with my eggs and donor sperm. I am still fairly young and don't have any known issues with my eggs so we thought this might be an option that was less expensive and something we could have done here instead of having to fly to CA. He said we could do that, however the success rates are not nearly as good as FET. I asked him what percentages were we talking and he said the two can't even be compared. IUI success rates are SO low.
After our talk he told me to talk it over with my husband and call him when we had a decision. We have NO idea what to do. I was so certain before the phone call that I was done going to CA, but now I don't know. I know he is one of the best doctors, but he's SO far away. I do fully trust what he says though so I don't doubt him one bit.
On the flip side if we do another FET, but just closer to home (say Atlanta or Dallas) we start over with a new Dr., have to get new embryos, pay another attorney fee for those embryos, another consult fee for the new dr, AND our travel costs. So in the end are we really saving anything???
I know that some have used Dr. Keenan in Knoxville and that's fairly close to us, but we will have a hard enough time coming up with the money for a trip to CA much less coming up with more than double that to use Dr. Keenan.
I am SO lost. We are just praying that God will show us what we should do. I need a definite sign as to what we should do. I feel SO lost right now. We've even looked back at doing a regular adoption again, but we aren't comfortable with most of those options and the ones we are comfortable with cost WAY more than we have right now so we'd need to save at least for 2 years. Since our son is almost 9, that's 2 years we really don't want to spend saving up for an adoption.
April 2022
3 years ago
Jen, Praying for God's wisdom to shine upon you... Dr. K is the best..
ReplyDeletei'm so sorry for your dillemma. ; ( If it's any help, we paid about 5k out of pocket for Dr Keenan's services (that includes travel all the way from Oregon). We expect to get about half of that back after our daughter is born and we can claim the adoption tax credit. (Our accountant has confirmed). That's probably still a lot more than traveling to CA, but I just wanted to let you know.
ReplyDeletePraying for God to give you direction and wisdom!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment Britney. The only issue is that we have to pay for a homestudy and other stuff outside of just Dr, Keenan's fee (I checked his fee schedule) and that ends up being well over $10k total.
ReplyDelete