Monday, July 12, 2010

Getting ready for stupid comments...

Today I was talking to a co-worker who knows about our embryo adoption. He was asking a bunch of questions just curious about how everything works. That was fine. I don't mind sharing my story especially if it means another child (or embryo in this case) gets adopted.

So then he says, "I bet you'll have more of a connection to this baby than you do to Zach since you're carrying it and he was already born.". Huh??? I calmly explained that Zach is my son no matter HOW he came to my family. I can't even imagine being more connected to one child than another. I just don't see it.

I know he didn't mean to be hurtful, but it did hurt my feelings. Zach means the world to me and I NEVER want to hear someone say something like that in front of him. I'd chop their head off!

I expect ignorant questions, but good grief!!! I've only told a small handful of people (as little as possible) and I'm already getting these sort of comments.

Now I will say that everyone (including this person) had been very supportive and mostly just interested in learning more about the process.

I already know we're going to get some ignorant comments from certain friends and family members, but I'm prepared for that. It's these that slip up on me that gets to me.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, he's a guy.. A lot of times they don't understand adoption period OR they just think differently than us :) I think its great you are sharing, it's SUCH AN AWESOME process! I feel the same about my birth daughter, adopted children and adopted embryo baby-LOVE THEM ALL THE SAME! They are all HIS gifts, just came into our family in different ways! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete